Although the breakup of Desus Nice and The Kid Mero – and the end of their Showtime evening series and Bodega Boys podcast – seemingly out of nowhere, half of the duo say it had been in the works for a while.
Mero said in a podcast interview that he and Desus will be “pursuing separate interests” for a year before the July 18 announcement that Desus & Mero was finished on Showtime, sparking heated speculation about what caused the split.
“Desus and I had a discussion, and we had pursued different interests for over a year before the show ended,” said Mero (aka Joel Martinez), on the Base! podcast hosted by former Comedy Central and MTV executive Doug Herzog and Vulture TV critic Jen Chaney. “That conversation became a fixture for us in signing blanket agreements that acknowledged our intent to [break out] independently of each other. So as early as June of last year, we were both pitching or looking to join existing projects as individuals. … It was a strategy.”
Mero also said he was determined not to push for a continuation of Desus & Mero as both he and Desus (Daniel Baker) were looking for other outlets. “If you have to force a partnership that ends naturally, it won’t be the same,” he said. “Knowing that, we had a conversation. We had a sitdown and we talked about it over a year ago. The intent was to go our separate ways in a way that supported each other.”
Mero declined to specify what projects he has in the works, but says he’s delving deeper into the writing – “features, series, books, you name it. I want to get all involved.”