HBOs House of the Dragon failed to make it to Nielsen’s streaming rankings for the week of August 15-21 – but only because it was only available a few hours before the weekly count ended.
According to Nielsen, the Game of Thrones prequel amassed 327 million minutes of watch time on HBO Max in the few hours following its August 21 premiere at 9:00 PM. The streaming ranking measures viewing from Monday to Sunday, but even with that short span of time, House of the Dragon cracked the top 10 almost all week: the number 10 acquired series for August 15-21 was the Canadian drama Hartland at 422 million minutes of viewing time.
(In future charts, House of the Dragon will be part of the acquired series rankings, as Nielsen considers the show’s first airing on the HBO cable channel.)
The series premiere will run for 65 minutes, which equates to an average of approximately 5.03 million viewers — more than twice as many as the show’s first broadcast on the linear channel and half of its nearly 10 million viewers which HBO claimed for the show. opening night (it also had some on-air reruns).
Game of Thrones also improved week-to-week leading up to House of the Dragon, up 30 percent and 559 million minutes of watch time.
Netflix’s the sandman repeated as the No. 1 original series, although its 946 million minutes of viewership dropped about 32 percent from week to week. Weird stuff (919 million minutes) dropped below the billion-minute mark for the first time since season four premiered in late May. Your own competition (574 million) posted a 76 percent increase over the premiere week.
The premiere of She-Hulk: Lawyer on Disney+ landed outside the top 10 original series, meaning the first episode (which premiered on August 18) amassed less than 395 million minutes of watch time — the figure for the 10th-place show, Instant dream home on Netflix.
NCIS led the acquired show rankings for the week with 810 million minutes of watch time – but based on the start of House of the Dragon, there will be a new #1 the following week.
Nielsen’s streaming ratings are for viewing on TV sets only and not for minutes viewed on computers or mobile devices. The ratings only measure US audiences, not other countries, and currently only include Apple TV+, Disney+, HBO Max, Hulu, Netflix, and Prime Video. The best streaming series for August 15-21 are below.
1. the sandman (Netflix), 946 million minutes viewed
2. Weird stuff (Netflix), 919 million minutes
3. Never have I ever (Netflix), 883 million
4. Lock & Key (Netflix), 776 million
5. untold (Netflix), 630 million
6. Virgin River (Netflix), 629 million
7. Your own competition (Prime video), 574 million
8. echoes (Netflix), 524 million
9. Only murders in the building (Hulu), 415 million
10. Instant dream home (Netflix), 395 million
1. NCIS (Netflix), 810 million minutes
2. Grey’s Anatomy (Netflix), 702 million
3. bluey (Disney+), 681 million
4. coconut melon (Netflix), 602 million
5. Game of Thrones (HBO Max), 559 million
6. The Big Bang Theory (HBO Max), 475 million
7. friends (HBO Max), 467 million
8. Riverdale (Netflix), 454 million
9. supernatural (Netflix), 432 million
10. Hartland (Netflix), 422 million