Rafael Nadal withdraws from Montreal hardcourt event | Tennis News

Rafael Nadal has pulled out of next week’s US Open tune-up event in Montreal, Canada, due to the same abdominal strain that forced him to miss his Wimbledon semi-final last month, he said on Friday.
Nadal, world number three, in search of a calendar Grand Slam came to an end after he withdrew from his highly anticipated showdown against Australia Nick Kyrgios less than 24 hours before the game.
Nadal, 26, who has won 22 major titles, is a five-time champion at the ATP 1000 event in Montreal, which begins Monday.
“I have been training for a while without serving and I started with serves four days ago. Everything went well, but yesterday after my normal training I felt a slight discomfort in my abdominals and today it was still there,” Nadal said in a statement.
“After speaking with my doctor, we prefer to take things conservatively and give a few more days before starting the competition.
“I’m very sad that I’m not finally traveling to Montreal and playing a tournament that I’ve won five times and love playing. I seriously hope I can come back there to play in front of amazing crowds up there. ”
Wimbledon champion Novak Djokovic also withdrew from the event on Thursday as he cannot enter the country without being fully vaccinated against COVID-19, while Britain’s Andy Murray received one of four wild cards.

Leave a Comment