BWF cancels tournaments in Hong Kong and Macau due to COVID-19 | Badminton News

KUALA LUMPUR: two world badminton tournaments — Hong Kong Open Super 500 and Macau Open Super 300 — were canceled due to Restrictions related to COVID-19 in both countries, global governing body BWF said Thursday.
While the Macau The Open was scheduled for November 1-6, the Hong Kong Open was scheduled to be held in Kowloon from November 8-13.
However, the Badminton World Federation said it had been informed by the governing body of both countries that hosting an event would not be viable in the current situation.
“In view of the current COVID-19 situation and the complexity of quarantine measures in Hong Kong, the Hong Kong Badminton Association (HKBA) has worked closely with government authorities to obtain special approval to ease certain restrictions for attendees at the event,” the BWF said. in a report.
“However, with quarantine restrictions still required for all overseas visitors, HKBA has concluded that there is no viable option other than to cancel the tournament.
“Similarly, after taking into account all travel and entry restrictions in Macau, and the health prevention measures in place, the Badminton Federation of Macau has informed the BWF that there is no possibility of organize his tournament this year.”
After the Japan Open underway this week, the world tour will move to Europe in October for tournaments in Denmark, France and Germany.

Leave a Comment