ATP’s Challenger Tour to see 60% jump in 2023 prize money | Tennis News

Prize money on the Challenger Tour will jump 60% next year from its 2022 level as part of a plan to boost earnings for feeder tour players, the men’s ATP Tour announced on Friday.
For the 2023 season, the Challenger Tour’s total prize money will increase from $13.2 million in 2022 to $21.1 million, with next year’s schedule also featuring 12 additional events on the second-tier circuit, up from 183 currently.
“The Challenger Tour is the launching pad for male professionals tennis. Today’s announcement is a critical step forward for the entire ecosystem,” ATP President Andrea Gaudenzi said in a statement.
“The new plan increases players’ earning potential and improves the balance between tournament categories, surfaces and regions.”
Earlier this year, the men’s governing body said its flagship Masters 1000 tournaments in Madrid, Rome and Shanghai would take place over 12 days and with bigger draws from 2023.
This has raised questions about the fate of the 250 smaller events on the men’s calendar with the ATP’s strategic plan to increase media and TV rights revenue.
The ATP said it will reduce the number of categories on the Challenger Tour to four from six while introducing three new premium Challenger 175 events, with $220,000 in prize money, during the second week of Masters events in Indian. Wells, Rome and Madrid.
“The health of the ATP Challenger Tour is critical to the future of our sport, and our in-depth review revealed significant opportunities to strengthen this pathway,” said Richard Glover, Vice President of the ATP Challenger Tour.
“As we take a long-term approach to developing the Challenger Tour, these changes will provide an immediate boost from 2023.”

Leave a Comment